Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Arts and Leisure: Widespread Panic Show

On September 25th I experienced my first Widespread Panic show. It was insane. The music was awesome, the lights were crazy and the people were really into it. The concert was right outside of Atlanta in Alpharetta GA in the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. There was a certain parking lot that was the "cool" place to park if you wanted a true panic experience, it's called "the lot" and it was located right in font of the entrance of the Amphitheater. We were able to talk our way into parking in "the lot". Once I got out and started to walk around I realized that this was like no other concert I had ever been to before. If you like to people watch a Panic show is the perfect place for you to be. I saw people with dreads all the way down to their ankles, people with piercings in places that I didn't even know could be pierced and people wearing anything from a full wool coat with pants, scarves and boots, to barley enough fabric to be legal, and tie-dye everywhere! People were all over the lot playing Frisbee, drinking, smoking, eating and openly doing drugs. It was definitely surreal.
Towards the front of the lot by the entrance were tents set up with all sorts of vendors. Some were selling vegan meatballs and hummus, others were selling Panic t-shirts, and others were selling all sorts drug paraphernalia. You could literally find anything you wanted; food, clothing and recreation.
Finally after waiting in line for about a half hour I got into the concert. I was blown away by how perfectly they set up the lights with the music. It was like two shows in one; a concert and a light show. I stood in general admission on the back lawn and could see out over the entire crowd because it was slightly on a hill. Throughout the entire crowd I watched people throwing glow sticks up in the air, lighters and waving hands...it was really cool. There was one song called Chilly Well Water. My friend ran to buy a bottle of water right as the entry chords began. I didn't understand why he did that until it got to a certain part of the song and everyone threw water up into the air at the same time. That song was by far my favorite part of the night. I had the birds eye view of everybody in the crowd throwing water up into the air, it was REALLY neat with the lights going at the same time.
Out of all the concerts that I have been to, this one had the most drugs I have ever seen, and all in one place. People were not afraid to openly take acid, and do all sorts of things that I have never even heard of before. As I looked around the lawn, it seemed like everybody was smoking weed as if it were a cigarette. The entire place smelled like pot. It was a huge culture shock, something that I was not used to. It made me feel a little uncomfortable, but I tried to ignore it and just listen to the music.
                

I took a picture with my friend and in the background you can see someone passing a joint.
    There are some similarities and differences between this culture and my own, but mainly more differences than similarities. First and foremost, I don't do drugs and a large majority (pretty much everybody) of people at the show do, it's kind of what WSP shows are known for. Secondly, this band attracts a lot of a sub-culture "hippies". I had to go out and buy a new dress to wear just so I would fit in. If I had worn my usual concert attire (probably a sun dress and wedge heels) I wouldn't have fit in. I figured out there's an underlying contest to see who can look like they tried the least. Thirdly, many of the panic fans are just that, die-hard fans. I talked to a lot of people that were there following the band from show to show. They knew everything about the band, the band members, the songs...EVERYTHING. This was my first concert, and my friend who I went with told me not to tell anybody it was, I would look like a loser. Fourthly, Panic fans have almost their own language. I learned you don't call a concert, a concert...it's called a show, hippies are called wooks, and a whole bunch of other stuff. My friend sent me this link before I went, just so I was prepared.

http://week4paug.net/general-topic-discussion/guide-to-being-a-widespread-panic-fan/

There were some similarities though. The band does attract college students as well, and obviously I'm a college student. Also, the music was really good, and every culture has music!

Honestly, all my stereotypes and ideas about the show were true. There were a ton of hippies, drugs, tie-dye shirts, drinking, and everything else that was associated with the band. The music was great, "jam band" music and the lights were awesome. It was hot and sweaty and the people were nice, all coming for the same thing to have a good time and listen to some good music.

All in all, I had a great time, but I probably won't be listening to their music everyday or seeking out tour dates, I wouldn't mind going to another one but only if the opportunity presents itself. It was a great experience, I had a real emic perspective. WSP is really like a religion to this culture. They live, eat and breath this music...they worship it.

No comments:

Post a Comment